A SPANISH train driver cut short the journey of more than 100 passengers because his shift had ended.
The train was travelling from Spain’s north coast to Madrid but stopped some 300km away from its final destination in the village of Osorno at 9.15pm.
Still some two hours away from Madrid, confused passengers eventually discovered the driver was refusing to work overtime so had decided to put on the brakes.
It is reported he had requested a replacement numerous times but to no avail.
One passenger said: “They said the driver had decided to stop because he had finished his day’s work and didn’t want to risk an accident by working excessive hours.”
Passengers on the train, operated by Spanish state rail network Renfe, were told that a replacement bus service to the capital was on its way, however that failed to turn up until 11.30pm.
Renfe has since apologised, refunded all the passengers’ fares and launched an investigation.
A spokesman for the Semaf rail workers’ union described the case as “exceptional”, adding that the driver had asked for another driver to travel on board in order to replace him.
“They should have had a substitute driver lined up but it didn’t happen. We’ve seen similar things in the past,” said Semaf secretary Carlos Segura.
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20