THE bodies of four family members have been found hacked to death inside a house in Spain.
The bodies, two of which were children aged around one and four, were discovered by a neighbour near Madrid after they smelt a strange odour coming from the house.
Town mayor Ricardo Garcia Lopez said neighbours of the family have told authorities that they were Brazilians who were renting the property.
The Guardia Civil have closed off the house in Pioz, 40 miles northeast of the capital, and have begun a thorough inspection.
It is thought the family have been dead for at least a month and that the killings were the work of professional hitmen who were hired to settle scores.
The deaths are believed to have been quick.
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19
- Iconic restaurant on Spain’s Costa del Sol divides opinion over sign declaring it ‘Spanish, Catholic and rightwing’ - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 16:54