A YOUNG woman has been rescued from a ‘cult exorcism’ in Spain after neighbours heard her ‘blood-curdling screams’.
Spanish cops were called to an apartment near Plaza de la Gesta in Oviedo, northern Spain, following calls from concerned residents.
“I heard a woman screaming and it frightened me,” said one neighbour, “The screams were blood-curdling, like she was being slowly murdered.”
A ‘shamen’ is thought to have led the exorcism, with several other young people present.
“It absolutely had nothing to do with sanctioned Catholic exorcism,” said Benito Gallego, dean of Oviedo Cathedral.
“It may be that it was some sort of cult ritual, faith healing or voodoo, but is far removed from the exorcism practised by the Catholic Church.”
Sanctioned exorcisms are regularly carried out by the Catholic Church in Spain.
The woman, thought to be from South America, was hospitalised after being found in a ‘state of great mental anguish’.
She has since been discharged with no physical injuries.
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22