A YOUNG woman has been rescued from a ‘cult exorcism’ in Spain after neighbours heard her ‘blood-curdling screams’.
Spanish cops were called to an apartment near Plaza de la Gesta in Oviedo, northern Spain, following calls from concerned residents.
“I heard a woman screaming and it frightened me,” said one neighbour, “The screams were blood-curdling, like she was being slowly murdered.”
A ‘shamen’ is thought to have led the exorcism, with several other young people present.
“It absolutely had nothing to do with sanctioned Catholic exorcism,” said Benito Gallego, dean of Oviedo Cathedral.
“It may be that it was some sort of cult ritual, faith healing or voodoo, but is far removed from the exorcism practised by the Catholic Church.”
Sanctioned exorcisms are regularly carried out by the Catholic Church in Spain.
The woman, thought to be from South America, was hospitalised after being found in a ‘state of great mental anguish’.
She has since been discharged with no physical injuries.
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19
- Iconic restaurant on Spain’s Costa del Sol divides opinion over sign declaring it ‘Spanish, Catholic and rightwing’ - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 16:54