LEADER of the Scottish Nationalist Party Nicola Sturgeon has announced formal plans for a second referendum on Scottish independence.
She told listeners at her party’s conference in Glasgow today that a referendum bill will be published next week.
The first vote saw some 55% of Scots say ‘no’ to independence on September 18 2014.
Sturgeon told delegates that the country had a right to seek something better if its prospects were unstable as a part of the UK.
She said: “I am determined that Scotland will have the ability to reconsider the question of independence and to do so before the UK leaves the EU – if that is necessary to protect our country’s interests.
“So, I can confirm today that the Independence Referendum Bill will be published for consultation next week.”
The UK’s decision to leave the EU has emboldened the Scottish independence campaign.
Some 62% of voters in Scotland chose to remain in EU in the June 23 vote, while the UK as a whole voted to leave by a margin on 52% to 48%.
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40