EXPAT campaign groups have hit out at a court ruling after British buyers were told they would not be compensated for millions worth of investment lost in an illegal development.
This comes despite Zurgena (Almeria) planning boss Carlos Berbel being suspended from public office for three years for allowing 94 houses to be built on protected land.
However, a court ruled that no compensation should be given to the expat buyers who invested millions in deposits in homes at Los Cabreras resort, that were never built.
In total some €9 million has been lost as a result of Berbel’s permissions.
According to the judge, ‘Berbel’s crime does not correspond to any right to claim compensation’.
President of expat housing group AUAN Maura Hillen has slammed the ruling as ‘scandalous’.
“It is a complete scandal,” she told the Olive Press. “If the law allows good-faith buyers to lose €9 million in an urbanization deemed illegal, then the law is effectively saying that the victims are to blame.”
She added: “The rulings sends out a message that principles of responsibility have no place in public administration.
“It also sends out a message that Spain is a land of zero accountability and that buyers have no protection in Spain.”
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36