A HUNTER in Spain has been charged with a double murder after shooting two forest rangers at point blank range.
Ismael Rodriguez, 28, shot at the guards after they asked him to show his hunting license.
He was arrested on Saturday after handing himself in in Aspa, near Lleida.
The father of a seven-year-old girl, David Iglesias, 39, and dad to a ten-year-old boy Xavier Ribes, 39, both died instantly at the scene.
Rodriguez had a weapons license but it did not cover the shotgun he was carrying.
Jordi Jane, Catalonia’s Interior Minister said: “He did have a valid type D permit but it was not the (Type E) one required for the 12-gauge shotgun he was carrying.”
The shooter has claimed he has ‘no memory’ of the murders and that the last thing he remembers is the two guards approaching him and asking him to empty his gun.
He claims to have no recollection of pointing it at his victims.
The shocking incident has reignited calls to review the country’s gun control laws.
“We need to establish stricter requirements to obtain the license of arms, and a much more careful control of the people who go out to hunt,” Spanish NGO Ecologistas en Accion said in a statement.
Tributes have been paid to the fallen park rangers with a minute’s silence at Catalonia’s Department of Agriculture.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35