THE Caminito del Rey, one of Andalucia’s most adrenaline-pumping attractions, is set for a €1 million upgrade.
Bosses of the cliff-hugging walkway have pushed forward improvement works in time for this summer’s rush. They had initially been planned to take place over the next two years.
As well as constructing a visitor reception centre and car park, extra work will be undertaken on the walkway, entrance huts and toilets.
The whole path will be trimmed and cleared in order to improve fire safety and make a more positive impact on the local environment.
Construction on the visitor centre will begin on February 16.
The Caminito will continue to close on Mondays for maintenance work, although the management is considering extending opening hours by an hour each day, and opening on feast days which fall on a Monday.
The ‘little king’s walkway’ near El Chorro is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Andalucia, with around 1,000 visitors a day.
It was closed for over a decade after falling into disrepair but reopened in 2015.
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22