THE Caminito del Rey, one of Andalucia’s most adrenaline-pumping attractions, is set for a €1 million upgrade.
Bosses of the cliff-hugging walkway have pushed forward improvement works in time for this summer’s rush. They had initially been planned to take place over the next two years.
As well as constructing a visitor reception centre and car park, extra work will be undertaken on the walkway, entrance huts and toilets.
The whole path will be trimmed and cleared in order to improve fire safety and make a more positive impact on the local environment.
Construction on the visitor centre will begin on February 16.
The Caminito will continue to close on Mondays for maintenance work, although the management is considering extending opening hours by an hour each day, and opening on feast days which fall on a Monday.
The ‘little king’s walkway’ near El Chorro is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Andalucia, with around 1,000 visitors a day.
It was closed for over a decade after falling into disrepair but reopened in 2015.
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13