Protesters gathered in the central square of Barbate in Cadiz to the mourn the death of the young boy, who is being described as Spain’s Alan Kurdi – the three-year-old Syrian boy whose lifeless body was pictured on Turkish shores in 2015.
The famous photo prompted outrage at the plight of refugees and was seen by millions.
The decomposed body found in Barbate on Friday is said to be of a six-year-old boy from the Democratic Republic of Congo named Samuel.
He died with his mother when their inflatable boat sank while attempting to cross the Strait of Gibraltar between Morocco and Spain.
While the number of migrants who have died off the Spanish coast is officially in the hundreds, the UN refugee agency estimates that more than 20,000 have been killed since 1988 trying to reach mainland Spain.
“We don’t know how many Alans, how many Samuels or how many men and women lie at the bottom of the sea without their families knowing anything,” said Rafael Lara of the Human Rights Association of Andalusia (APDHA) at Tuesday night’s demonstration.
More than 200 people are said to have attended.
Mr Lara said they wanted ‘to express revulsion at the deaths on our borders caused by the sectarian politics of our governments’.
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27