Karen Matthews, 41, is said to be fearing for her life following a backlash as a result of the recent BBC drama The Moorside.
The two-part series, starring Sheridan Smith, documented how Matthews staged her daughter Shannon’s kidnapping with the aim of collecting a €60,000 reward.
It comes after the mother-of-seven, who was jailed for eight years in 2009, had a pot of steaming mushy peas dumped on her head as she left a fish and chips shop last week.
Sources close to Matthews say she has now applied for a passport and is interested in taking a cleaning job on the Costa Blanca.
The source told the Daily Star: “She knows she can never avoid her past. With this programme on the telly she’s realised living abroad might be a better option for her.”
Matthews, from Dewsbury, allowed Yorkshire police to launch their biggest ever manhunt, costing almost €5 million, all the while knowing her daughter was safe and sound just a couple of miles away in her uncle Michael Donovan’s flat.
Her distressed friends organised search parties for almost a month.
She became known as Britain’s most-hated mum when her plot was unraveled by friends and police.
Although she was sentenced for eight years, she only served four.
Donovan, 48, was also sentenced for eight years but got released a few weeks before Matthews.
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16