The Guardia Civil have launched an investigation after he was found with his face and limbs ripped to shreds, injuries that are consistent with fighting off a pack of dogs.
Officers said the wounds suggest he put up a fierce struggle before bleeding to death.
Investigators visited nearby houses where they found that one neighbour had five dogs – all pitbull and bullterrier mixed breeds – which are classified as ‘potentially dangerous breeds’ under Spanish law.
Despite not seeing blood stains on the dogs, officers noticed that one of the animals had a wet coat, as if it had just been washed down, although the owner claimed it had fallen into the swimming pool.
Police said only one of the dogs had a chip and that the owner did not have the correct permits for the dangerous breeds.
Under Spanish law, owners of ‘perros potencialmente peligrosas’ (PPP) – which include pit bull terriers, rottweilers, Staffordshire bull terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, dogo argentinos, fila brasileiros, Tosa Inus, and Akita Inus – must have a licence and keep their dogs muzzled and on a tight leash when outdoors.
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16