NATIONAL rail operator Renfe has been fined over illicit pacts with other rail firms.
Watchdog CNMC said Renfe and Deutsche Bahn, a German train company also being fined, treated each other as privileged clients.
Renfe is accused of discriminating against other freight companies and harming the competition.
A CNMC spokesman said: “Through these alliances, these groups, which theoretically should be competing with each other, could maintain the almost unchanged status quo that existed before the liberalisation of the cargo train sector in Spain.”
Altogether both companies were fined €75.6 million. Deutsche Bahn was not available for comment.
- Read our latest newspapers: Andalucia, Mallorca, Costa Blanca & Gibraltar - 26 May, 2019 @ 09:35
- Meet Kaat Buelens, an expat Sabinillas restaurant owner and political underdog running to be your local councillor in Manilva - 25 May, 2019 @ 14:00
- Open letter from PP’s Javier Quero to people of Casares, as he bids to become mayor and ‘return Casares to its former glory’ - 25 May, 2019 @ 12:00
- WATCH: As featured in Olive Press, The Paradise Retreat that has won International Acclaim - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:30
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER! :Expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections – in which FINALLY foreigners count - 24 May, 2019 @ 01:45
- Travelling to Madrid for the Champions League Final? How to Stay Safe in the Capital - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:24
- Why is Customer Service Training Important to a Business - 21 May, 2019 @ 16:38
- Is La Liga in Danger of Irrelevance? - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:21
- Sign up with Spain’s only ‘all-in- English’ mobile service - 21 May, 2019 @ 06:46
- Spanish study finds that eating nuts in first trimester of pregnancy improves child brain development - 19 May, 2019 @ 11:00