NATIONAL rail operator Renfe has been fined over illicit pacts with other rail firms.
Watchdog CNMC said Renfe and Deutsche Bahn, a German train company also being fined, treated each other as privileged clients.
Renfe is accused of discriminating against other freight companies and harming the competition.
A CNMC spokesman said: “Through these alliances, these groups, which theoretically should be competing with each other, could maintain the almost unchanged status quo that existed before the liberalisation of the cargo train sector in Spain.”
Altogether both companies were fined €75.6 million. Deutsche Bahn was not available for comment.
- Spain tops global health league but all is not well for expats - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 16:59
- Lady Elizabeth School, in Benitachell Alicante, is to have its grand inauguration this month - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:32
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05
- Most Attractive Industries to Invest in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:01
- Ceramics are the hot new design trend styling up interiors this year - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 10:22
- Architect of Spain’s largest indoor sports arena scoops this year’s prestigious Pritzker Prize - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 18:04
- The Brits have not stopped investing in Spanish property with a 12% rise in purchases last year - 16 Mar, 2019 @ 17:43
- World’s greatest F1 champ spotted on the island in first sighting since 2013 - 16 Mar, 2019 @ 13:57
- Siestas ‘help treat high blood pressure’ - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 11:48
- DON’T LEAF US THIS WAY: Brexit striking fear into hearts of ‘terrified’ farmers in Spain’s Andalucia - 9 Mar, 2019 @ 10:00