NATIONAL rail operator Renfe has been fined over illicit pacts with other rail firms.
Watchdog CNMC said Renfe and Deutsche Bahn, a German train company also being fined, treated each other as privileged clients.
Renfe is accused of discriminating against other freight companies and harming the competition.
A CNMC spokesman said: “Through these alliances, these groups, which theoretically should be competing with each other, could maintain the almost unchanged status quo that existed before the liberalisation of the cargo train sector in Spain.”
Altogether both companies were fined €75.6 million. Deutsche Bahn was not available for comment.
- PICTURED: ‘Shark’ spotted near swimmers on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:38
- Don’t miss the Bollywood and glitter themed pool parties at Max Beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:42
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02
- Figuring out your next career move: Where to start from? - 3 Jul, 2019 @ 10:19
- Online Sports Betting in Spain – Where to Play & What’s Legal? - 2 Jul, 2019 @ 09:16