The guidelines state that any Brexit deal will not apply to Gibraltar without an ‘agreement between the Kingdom of Spain and the UK.’
British officials are said to be taken by surprise, with one describing the move as ‘absolutely unacceptable’.
An official told the Telegraph: “One really wonders why the EU has thought it sensible to put in something that’s a bi-lateral issue between Spain and the UK.”
Vice Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Gibraltar Andrew Rosindell said: “An agreement without including Gibraltar means there can be no agreement.
“British people must and will stand together, we cannot be bullied by Spain, any agreement must apply equally to the whole British family and that includes Gibraltar. There can be no compromise on this.”
The draft guidelines for withdrawal say: “After the United Kingdom leaves the Union, no agreement between the EU and the United Kingdom may apply to the territory of Gibraltar without the agreement between the Kingdom of Spain and the United Kingdom.”
Gibraltar has been a British Overseas Territory since 1713 and is home to 30,000 residents, 97% of whom voted to stay in the EU last June.
UK MPs warned last year that Spain’s increasingly aggressive behaviour towards the Rock was a ‘threat’ to British security and that is behaviour as a NATO ally was becoming ‘increasingly unreliable’.
- Expats rally around British pensioner made homeless on Spain’s Costa del Sol as alleged ‘squatter tenants’ speak out - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 20:32
- British expats and locals FUMING as celebrity chef Dani Garcia’s chiringuito gets go ahead on protected land in southern Spain - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:16
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09