The new threat, revealed in a report by Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, places Marbella, Granada and Malaga under ‘serious threat’.
The monster wave would be caused by a quake striking the Alboran sea, north-east of Morocco, which is currently being squeezed between the Iberian and African tectonic plates.
The building pressure would lead to a fault, triggering an earthquake and setting off a massive wave that would head straight to the coast.
The report says the region would face a 2/5 danger level, meaning there is a ‘severe land threat with maximum wave elevations.’
“In this area, especially on the coast of Granada, maximum wave elevations can locally exceed 1m,” the report states.
It details that the areas of Malaga and Granada would face a ‘land threat’ with around one metre waves.
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49