Two Cadiz GRECO cops captured the officer after he run across the adjacent five lines of traffic and into a field.
After being arrested, he claimed the car was driven by another agent, but that he did not know where he had escaped to.
The crash killed three people and severely injured four others on the AP-7 in Torremolinos.
Sergeant Miguel Polilla walked away from the accident and the victims who laid still on the road until someone shouted “Stop, police!”
After him were two national police of the Special Response Group for Organized Crime (GRECO) of Cadiz who happened to have been circulating around the area.
Miguel jumped the central van of the highway and crossed the five opposing lanes of the MA-20, almost causing another crash as cars slammed the brakes to avoid hitting him as they travelled towards Malaga.
He ignored the police warnings and heavy traffic and continued into an adjacent field, but he was soon caught by the two fellow cops.
Back at the scene he reportedly said: “I’m a partner,” before he identified himself as a Guardia Civil sergeant and claimed that he was not driving the Hyundai that had caused the tragedy.
Visibly drunk, he then scolded the policemen, stating that he was in the passenger’s seat and that another officer of the armed institute was behind the wheel.
Inspection of the vehicle and the testimony of some witnesses showed that he was lying, but the agents were obliged to transfer the sergeant’s version to the first civil traffic guards who appeared at the site of the accident.
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26