AN American expat is demanding justice after having his cars taken off him for more than three years.
Dennis Fitzsimmons, 79, has been unable to drive his red Corvette and Grand Cherokee Jeep since 2014 after the British-owned company that imported them from New York came under investigation.
When police uncovered potential criminal dealings at the now defunct company Import Spain – owned by Briton Chris Dann and exposed by the Olive Press last year – they decided to impound the vehicles of 97 customers.
“They told me they were investigating Dann for not paying the proper taxes on cars before selling them, and that every customer was having their car embargoed,” Fitzsimmons, based in Zaragoza, told the Olive Press.
“And now his lawyer tells me that the case has been extended by 18 months, which means it will have been five years before a trial even begins, it’s crazy!”
Former doctor Fitzsimmons, who has so far paid out more than €10,000 on legal and car rental costs, added: “I just want to see something done and some sort of justice served.
“But most of all, I just want my damn cars back.”
Dann insisted this week that it had nothing to do with him.
The Brit, who set up the company in Barcelona in 1990, said: “It was a very bad time that I would not like to revisit or go over,” he said.
“I don’t know what to say, It has nothing to do with me, I did nothing wrong, the charges were dropped over two years ago.”
His lawyer, David Pique, however, confirmed that Dann remains under investigation and that a trial will begin in 18 months time.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35