A MAJOR investigation is underway after a Spanish teenager was tied up and repeatedly raped in Ireland last weekend.
The suspect in the alleged attack, which happened in Dublin, was out on bail at the time, it has been revealed.
The victim, an 18-year-old student who was staying with a host family, told Gardaí she was taken to waste ground near Sandymont beach where she was tied up and subjected to multiple assaults in a tent overnight.
A 24-year-old man has been arrested and released without charge in relation to the allegations.
The Irish Gardaí are awaiting the results of DNA and forensic tests.
The 18-year-old student from Spain said she met the suspect on the boardwalk along Dublin’s Eden Quays on Saturday evening.
It is understood the suspect started talking to her before she told him she was interested in photography and he suggested taking her to Sandymount beach.
According to the victim’s statements, they crossed the East Link bridge and walked along Pigeon House Rd near the old Glass Bottle site.
It is believed he took her to an area near flats and brought her into a tent where he restrained her with cables, and raped her repeatedly during Saturday and Sunday.
It is understood he may have then taken her to Sandymount Beach, where he fell asleep, at which stage, despite being warned that she would be killed if she fled, she escaped and sought assistance from a nearby house.
The woman was taken to hospital and received a medical examination while police cordoned off the area of the alleged assault.
The suspect was arrested on Monday morning and questioned by detectives.
He was detained under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, which allows for 24 hours’ detention.
He has been released pending the results of forensic and DNA tests.
Detectives are also going through CCTV evidence.
The suspect has convictions for violent offences and is currently on bail in relation to an unrelated matter, which is not a sexual crime.
The victim’s family have been notified and have already travelled from Spain to be with their daughter.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31