BRITISH holidaymakers have helped Spain smash its record for international tourist arrivals.
It comes after the National Statistics Institute (INE) revealed the number of visitors in July soared by 10.1% on last year.
Spain hosted more than 10.5 million foreign tourists in the seventh month of the year, adding to expectations that 2017 arrival numbers will reach new heights.
From January to July, the number of visitors rose 11.3% on last year to 46.9 million.
Research carried out by Caixabank predicts a total of 83 million international tourists by the end of 2017.
Catalonia was the most visited region in July.
Hotel groups and government ministers have so far dismissed concerns that the attacks in Barcelona could affect figures, saying cancellations since have been isolated.
According to a survey by ITB World Travel, two thirds of international travellers only go to destinations they perceive as safe.
Tourism has accounted for around 11% of economic output during Spain’s economic recovery since the devastating 2008 crash.
It’s an essential industry for the country, employing 13% of the population.
British tourists remained the largest group of visitors, accounting for 22.1% of the total, despite Brexit and the plummetting pound against the euro.
“There is no noticeable impact of Brexit on our future bookings, which remain positive,” a spokesman for Thomas Cook said. “The annual sun and beach holiday is resilient.”
More than 2.3 million Brits travelled to Spain in July, up 7% from 2016.
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27
- IN PICS: Saudi tycoon’s HUGE €200 million yacht arrives on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 13:59