TWO out of three of Spain’s top destinations for Brits buying a second home are in Andalucia.
Marbella and Mijas are in the top three, only beaten by Torrevieja, in Alicante, according to leading homebuilder Taylor Wimpey. While, Torrevieja topped the charts thanks to its beaches and affordable homes, Marbella and Mijas were very close behind.
Marbella has ‘superb flight connections year round’ and new routes are being added every year, according to the report. Meanwhile, Mijas was unique in attracting holidaymakers and avid golfers. “Many holidaymakers fall in love with this holiday hotspot as they are never far from the sea or a golf course.”
“It has the perfect setting for capturing the international growing demand for second homes with amenities on hand.”
Calvia in Mallorca came in a close fourth in the poll of British buyers purchasing in Spain over the summer months this year. Meanwhile, Spanish tourism continues to break records this year with over 10.5 million tourists arriving in July – 10% more than last year’s figures.
British visitors were the largest group, accounting for over 2.3 million arrivals during the month. The homebuilder has a number of projects currently underway in Mijas and Marbella, as well as in Mallorca and Torrevieja.
Holiday home demand is back in business… among Spaniards as well. New research reveals that 13% of homes sold to local buyers are intended as holiday homes, according to Fotocasa. Some 59% of buyers have no intention of renting out their second home, whilst 34% plan to offer holiday rentals.
“The holiday rental market is one of the reasons why rental prices are rising so fast,” explains Beatriz Toribio, head of research at Fotocasa. Another report reveals that more than six million Spanish households own a second home in Spain, of which 3.6 million are located in coastal areas.
- Ronda guitarist gives fascinating nightly shows explaining the different Spanish instruments - 18 Nov, 2017 @ 12:20
- Ronda is a cobbled gem where visitors are quickly transported back in time, writes Jed Neill - 17 Nov, 2017 @ 13:30
- Former teenage soldier Abdel Djeebet has become something of a trooper in the kitchen - 25 Oct, 2017 @ 08:45
- ‘San Pedro is a key boom area’ writes Casa Marbella boss - 22 Oct, 2017 @ 13:30
- As San Pedro gears up for its feria – the last of the season – Laurence Dollimore discovers a town that can throw a party to match anything big sister Marbella can muster - 20 Oct, 2017 @ 13:45
- Those in the know are swapping Marbella for San Pedro when it comes to dining, writes Jon Clarke - 19 Oct, 2017 @ 14:30
- San Pedro’s evolving commercial centre La Colonia was built by an expat - 18 Oct, 2017 @ 18:30
- Spanish Game of Thrones style castles available to buy - 8 Oct, 2017 @ 09:30
- Saved or scrapped – two different stories for historic Costa del Sol properties - 7 Oct, 2017 @ 12:30
- Prime movers and shakers in Mallorca - 6 Oct, 2017 @ 19:00