Several people are still missing in Portugal, including a one-month old baby, while two victims in Galicia, Spain, burned to death in their car.
Thousands of firefighters are still tackling flames, which erupted across north-eastern Portugal and parts of Spain over the weekend after a hot dry summer and an unusually warm October.
Strong winds from Hurrican Ophelia are believed to have helped spread the fires.
Rain is forecast for the affected regions later today but it’s not clear how much that will aid efforts.
In Portugal, a state of emergency was declared north of the Tagus river as more than 6,000 firefighters in 1,800 vehicles were deployed this morning.
Meanwhile, Galician leader Alberto Nunez Feijoo claimed the fires were deliberately set by arsonists, in what he called ‘terrorist acts’.
Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido said several people had already been identified in connection with the fires, and appealed for anyone with further information to share it with the national protection service.
Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy is travelling to Galicia and has expressed solidarity with the victims.
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25