TWO senior Catalan separatist government figures must stay in jail but six others have been freed, a Spanish supreme court judge has ruled.
The six must post bail of €100,000 while Mr Puigdemont’s deputy Oriol Junqueras and Catalan ex-Interior Minister Joaquim Forn must stay in jail.
Both Junqueras and Forn are jailed alongside grassroots leaders Jordi Sanchez and Jordi Cuixart.
Those freed are:
- Former Labour Minister Dolors Bassa
- Former foreign policy chief Raül Romeva
- Former Justice Minister Carles Mundó
- Former Culture Minister Meritxell Borras
- Former Sustainable Development Minister Josep Rull
- Former Government Presidency Councillor Jordi Turull
The eight politicians are accused of rebellion, which carries a prison sentence of 30 years, and sedition over the region’s illegal independence referendum in October.