A BRITISH funeral planner has been exposed for targeting vulnerable pensioners, using high-pressure and illegal tactics to sell expensive funerals.
Plan My Funeral, majority owend by funeral company Avalon, which has offices in Torrevieja, was found to be in breach of ethics and legal standards by a Mail on Sunday investigation.
Salesmen boasted of goading pensioners with constant and repeated calls if they turned them down, while a manager ordered a worker posing as a salesman to ‘trick’ an elderly customer into handing over personal information – a breach of data protection laws.
An undercover journalist posing as a pensioner was warned his family might end up in debt if he did not buy a funeral plan.
And a salesman admitted misleading a customer into thinking plans cover the entire cost of the funeral.
One British pensioner said: “I was being harassed the whole time as if the only way you were going to get a conclusion from it was by accepting the policy.”
The investigator secretly filmed inside the Cheshire call centre, where 70 sales staff bombard elderly people with calls about pre-paid funeral plans costing more than £4,000 (€4,500).
A computerised dialling system automatically rings tens of thousands of people every week and some people are hounded with repeated calls.
Avalon – best known for TV adverts starring John Cleese as the Grim Reaper – closed down the call centre and has since launched an investigation.
The Information Commissioner’s Office, a data privacy watchdog, also pledged to take ‘robust action’ where they found the law had been broken.
- ‘Paedo’ football coach facing 100 YEARS behind bars for allegedly abusing 25 children in British expat hotspot near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 16:12
- WATCH: Russian-backed ‘Mansions of Banus’ development part of €200 million portfolio penned for Marbella and Costa del Sol - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 15:20
- British man dies after falling off pedalo in Spain despite green flags indicating sea was safe - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:33
- UNEARTHED: First Roman olive oil press EVER on Spain’s Costa del Sol as huge archaeology park planned - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:17
- British sex pest arrested in Marbella for harassing young woman with barrage of sexually explicit messages - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 11:54
- Boy, 8, dies in Spain after choking on hot dog during San Juan celebrations - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 11:30
- WATCH: Expat gives hilarious guide for boozy Brits heading to Marbella (WARNING: Not for the easily offended) - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 11:02
- SHAMEFUL: ‘Racist’ effigy mocking migrants shocks expats and locals ahead of San Juan celebrations on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 10:42
- OPINION: The Junta de Andalucia’s budgets which benefit residents are a welcome sight after decades of corruption - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 11:44
- Report warns 20% of Spain’s olive farms could disappear within a decade - 22 Jun, 2019 @ 15:05