DAVE Mahon has lost his appeal to have the sentence he received for killing his partner’s son reduced.
The 46-year-old was given seven years behind bars for the manslaughter of 23-year-old Dean Fitzpatrick, his stepson, in May 2013.
The young man was stabbed in the abdomen outside the apartment his mother, Audrey, shared with Mahon in Dublin.
The court heard that the two men had been arguing about a missing part of a bicycle.
The State argued that Mahon was drunk and agitated and had intended to kill his stepson.
Mahon claimed the death was accidental and that Fitzpatrick ‘walked into the knife’ he was holding.
The jury found him guilty of manslaughter in June last year.
Mahon did not appeal his conviction but appealed the severity of the sentence, but it was dismissed in court today.
It comes almost 10 years after Fitzpatrick’s 15-year-old sister Amy Fitzpatrick went missing on New Year’s Day 2008 as she walked home from a friend’s house on the Costa del Sol.
She has not been seen since.
Amy’s mother Audrey Fitzpatrick has forgiven Dave for killing her son.
The pair were engaged before Amy disappeared from near her home in Calahonda.
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22