A MARBELLA rapper has been found guilty of ‘glorifying terrorism’ by a court in Madrid.
Ivan Leszno, 25, and fellow members of the La Insurgencia rap group are facing two years and one day in jail, a €4,500 fine each and a nine-year ban from running for office.
They are appealing the ruling before the Supreme Court.
It comes a year after police summoned the group to court after seeing them performing on the street.
Their lyrics, according to prosecutors, praise the antifascist group Grupos de Resistencia Antifascistas Primero de Octubre (GRAPO).
But Leszno disagrees.
“Our music is written by young people who use hip-hop to express the rage of a generation who has been robbed of their future,” he said.
“They just want us to stop singing or start self-censorship.”
Some of the ‘offending’ lyrics come from songs like Pepe, in which the group praise Jose Balmon, the leader of the Communist Party of Spain who was imprisoned for alleged links to violent group GRAPO, which he denies.
The lyrics read ‘we will defeat them, we will win, we will do it for the fallen, Pepe.’
La Insurgencia added that the recent imprisonments of Catalan leaders showed a worrying trend in Spain of locking people up for their ideas.
“It does nothing but increase the list of prisoners who have been put behind bars for their ideas in Spain. The repression that has been raging and is taking place these days with the Catalans who demand a right as basic as voting, is the same repression that has been suffered by numerous groups, peoples, organizations, artists and activists since the Franco regime.”
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40