A MARBELLA rapper has been found guilty of ‘glorifying terrorism’ by a court in Madrid.
Ivan Leszno, 25, and fellow members of the La Insurgencia rap group are facing two years and one day in jail, a €4,500 fine each and a nine-year ban from running for office.
They are appealing the ruling before the Supreme Court.
It comes a year after police summoned the group to court after seeing them performing on the street.
Their lyrics, according to prosecutors, praise the antifascist group Grupos de Resistencia Antifascistas Primero de Octubre (GRAPO).
But Leszno disagrees.
“Our music is written by young people who use hip-hop to express the rage of a generation who has been robbed of their future,” he said.
“They just want us to stop singing or start self-censorship.”
Some of the ‘offending’ lyrics come from songs like Pepe, in which the group praise Jose Balmon, the leader of the Communist Party of Spain who was imprisoned for alleged links to violent group GRAPO, which he denies.
The lyrics read ‘we will defeat them, we will win, we will do it for the fallen, Pepe.’
La Insurgencia added that the recent imprisonments of Catalan leaders showed a worrying trend in Spain of locking people up for their ideas.
“It does nothing but increase the list of prisoners who have been put behind bars for their ideas in Spain. The repression that has been raging and is taking place these days with the Catalans who demand a right as basic as voting, is the same repression that has been suffered by numerous groups, peoples, organizations, artists and activists since the Franco regime.”
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31