MORE than 1,000 pigs have drowned in Spain after being locked in their pens during a flood.
Miles de animales atrapados con el agua al cuello luchan por sobrevivir.
Gracias a vuestra presión en redes sociales, la Guardia Civil ha anunciado
que abrirá una investigación. Este desastre no puede volver a suceder.
¡Sus vidas también importan! pic.twitter.com/vvVFg7iN8H
— PACMA (@PartidoPACMA) April 17, 2018
Shocking footage shared by animal rights group PACMA shows animals up their necks in water as they tried to stay afloat on a farm in Aragon.
The area had become flooded after River Ebro burst its banks.
Owners of the farm in Villafranca de Ebro had been warned there was a high chance of floods, but refused to evacuate their animals.
More than 45,000 animals from 42 other farms in the region had been evacuated after being warned.
Guardia Civil tried to save the pigs but the water was too high.
PACMA has filed complaints against the farm owners.
It said: “If they had started evacuating the pigs on time, they would have saved them.”
“We have filed a legal complaint for possible animal abuse, against the owners and/or those responsible for the animals that were abandoned and drowned at the Remolinos and Villafranca de Ebro farms, both in Zaragoza.
“They are the same farms that left their animals to die during the floods in 2015.”
“But they are not the only ones responsible. In November we presented to the Aragon Council our Animal Catastrophe Evacuation Plan.
“If they had listened to us none of this would have happened.
“In addition, on Friday we warned the Government of Aragon that there was a forecast of floods, and that it was essential that a protocol be activated to evict the animals and guarantee their safeguarding.”
The investigation continues.
- Expats rally around British pensioner made homeless on Spain’s Costa del Sol as alleged ‘squatter tenants’ speak out - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 20:32
- British expats and locals FUMING as celebrity chef Dani Garcia’s chiringuito gets go ahead on protected land in southern Spain - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:16
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09