TWO former leaders in Spain’s biggest ever corruption probe have been sentenced to 84 years in prison.
Francisco Correa, the mastermind behind the so-called Gurtel case, has been given 51 years while Luis Barcenas will have to serve 33 years and pay a €44 million fine.
Correa was convicted of heading a corrupt network that worked with party officials in the Partido Popular between 1996 and 2006.
Former PP treasurer Barcenas was found guilty of evading more than €11.5 million in taxes between 2000 and 2009.
He also raked in at least €1.24 million in bribes for facilitating public contract works to certain business leaders who were brought in by Correa.
The case got its name from the German word for correa, or ‘belt’ in Spanish.
Barcenas told the judge in 2013 that he had kept secret ledgers on a party slush fund, and that the orders came down from the current and past presidents and general secretaries of the party, reaching back to 1982.
EL PAÍS first published the Bárcenas ledgers that year, which record cash contributions and donations made by businessmen, and alleged bonus payments to top party officials.
The conservative PP was also found guilty of benefiting financially from corruption and has been ordered to pay €245,492.
Prime minister Mariano Rajoy became the first serving leader in Spain to testify in a criminal case earlier this year when he was grilled on Gurtel’s dealings.
The wife of Barcena was handed 15 years behind bars while the ex-wife of Correa was given 14 years and eight months.
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27
- IN PICS: Saudi tycoon’s HUGE €200 million yacht arrives on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 13:59
- Life in the laid-back East of the Costa del Sol has never seemed more appealing - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 10:10