AUGUST 1 was Earth Overshoot Day but it was nothing to celebrate.
It was the date humanity used up its sustainable natural resources for the year.
From now until December 31 the world is in a situation of ‘ecological debt’.
Earth Overshoot Day was established by the Global Footprint Network in 1997 to measure how the world is spending its natural resources, with devastating results.
They found that humanity drains resources for almost two planets every year, giving the earth no time to recover.
Or in Spain’s case 2.3 planets, according to Juan Carlos del Olmo, general secretary of WWF Spain.
“We are submitting natural resources to huge stress,” he said.
Various factors have contributed to this situation such as the reduction in biodiversity, soil degradation of soil and extreme weather which is becoming increasingly more frequent and destructive.
The earth’s footprint on nature, based on criteria such as consumption of food and usage of forests, is still in credit at around 60%.
What puts the planet into the red is pollutant gases such as carbon dioxide, produced by fossil fuels.
- 11 things you definitely didn’t know about Estepona, the garden of Spain’s Costa del Sol - 26 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- Spain’s top oncology scientist cures pancreatic cancer in mice giving hope for future human treatment - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14
- TREASURE HUNT: How foreigners helped Spain curate its top 10 most priceless artefacts - 3 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- After Lavapies was crowned Spain’s coolest neighbourhood here are the top 10 other hip hoods worth a visit - 29 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- 9 Spanish Christmas traditions you don’t want to miss this year - 25 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Spain is least ‘culturally arrogant’ country in Europe but here are 10 reasons why you SHOULD say ‘Viva España!’ - 8 Dec, 2018 @ 18:00
- 10 things you may not know about Spain’s Michelin star chef Dani Garcia - 8 Dec, 2018 @ 16:00
- More than 50% in Spain fear climate change is ‘threatening’ survival of human race - 2 Dec, 2018 @ 12:15
- Susana Diaz denies illegal funding of PSOE and refuses to apologise in fiery argument with PP - 9 Nov, 2018 @ 18:45
- Police officer ‘almost left blind’ receives 20 stitches after being smashed in face on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 9 Nov, 2018 @ 18:01