PODEMOS leader Pablo Iglesias has reignited the drugs debate in Spain by advocating that the country legalises cannabis.
On Thursday the party, who are in coalition with Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez’s PSOE government, organised a congressional forum on marijuana legalisation.
Current Spanish law allows people to use and possess the drug in private spaces only, but the Podemos proposals would see the sale and cultivation of cannabis become legal.
The Podemos’ plan would see the state be responsible for granting licenses to those who want to plant, harvest and sell the drug and Iglesias says their proposal includes a ‘strong punitive policy for those who break the law.’
Iglesias said: “It’s absurd that you can buy tequila or gin from a supermarket but marijuana is illegal.”
Despite the left-wing political scientist’s enthusiasm Spain’s leader Sanchez remains unmoved on the debate.
When asked about possible legalisation on a recent visit to Canada, Spain’s leader said: “I’m focused on what I’m doing now, I have enough problems as it is.”
The list of countries going green is growing, the latest being Canada who legalised weed on Wednesday this week.
Across the border from Spain in Portugal, all drugs have been legal since 2001, where drug-related court cases, violent crime and overdoses plummeted following the law changes.
Spain’s centre-right Ciudadanos party put forward a draft bill to legalise cannabis for medicinal purposes but it was blocked by Sanchez’s PSOE party and the conservative Popular Party (PP).
The Ciudadanos said: “Aiming to legalize marijuana without a legal framework or a serene debate is to enter a legal black hole, and to put the cart before the horse.”
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49
- Two arrested in Spain’s Andalucia over violent drug deaths after bodies dumped down well and car burnt out - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15