HUNDREDS of piglets drowned at a farm in Teba during the Malaga floods, caused by the torrential rains on Sunday.
Two huge piles of dead piglets can be seen piled against a wall at the farm, in harrowing images posted on Facebook by the town’s Mayor Cristóbal Corral.
The animals drowned after the town of Teba, north of Marbella was hit by over 400 litres of rain per square metre in just 24 hours.
The Mayor payed tribute to the animals, calling the hundreds of deaths a ‘horror’ and a ‘catastrophe’.
He added: “This is one more example of the disaster that any farm can suffer.”
Corral attracted criticism with his comments however, as the animal rights group PACMA claimed he was only concerned about the monetary loss of the dead piglets.
?? ¡IMAGEN MUY DURA! ??
Lamentamos que la pérdida de vidas de animales ahogados no sean tenidas en cuenta por el alcalde de Teba (IU), que parece importarle más la repercusión económica que las pérdidas morales de la vida de los animales. Todas las vidas importan. pic.twitter.com/qKml54mtA8
— PACMA (@PartidoPACMA) October 24, 2018
They said the mayor ‘seems to care more about the economic impact than the moral losses of animal life’.
Cereals, feed, raw materials, machinery and enclosures are among the other farming infrastructure to be devastated in Teba and the surrounding area.
The Cooperatives Agro-alimentary of Malaga have put the total flood damage in Campillos and Teba at €1.5 million.
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49
- Two arrested in Spain’s Andalucia over violent drug deaths after bodies dumped down well and car burnt out - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15