A BOAT carrying 300 migrants docked in Spain this morning after being refused entry twice into Europe.
Operated by Spanish charity NGO Proactiva Open Arms, the vessel docked in Algeciras at 9:00am on Friday after a week at sea.
The mainly African migrants were rescued on December 21, but were told they could not enter Italy or Malta.
The 19 different nationalities onboard the ship, including 139 children, were all met by Red Cross officials who offered them food, clothes and medical examinations if they needed it.
“These are people, both children and adults, who have had really horrible experiences in both their countries of origin and during their journey,” said Vicente Raimundo, a director at Save The Children.
Video showed the spirit of the migrants who celebrated Christmas at sea by singing and listening to music.
Police will identify the migrants before moving them to shelters, and so far the Red Cross have recorded people from the Ivory Coast, Mali, Somalia and Sudan.
It comes as Italy’s far-right interior minister Matteo Salvini said: “My answer is clear: Italian ports are closed, for human traffickers and those who help them, the party is over.”
Over 2,200 migrants have died this year trying to cross the Mediterranean, while 119,336 have reached Europe, according to the UN.
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59
- CATALUNYA CRISIS: ‘I am a political prisoner’ says Catalan leader as 12 separatists go on trial in Spain - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 20:48
- ‘I MISS MY BROTHER’: Sister of British expat filmmaker in Spain speaks out after balcony horror plunge puts him in coma - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 18:42
- Spain tourism chiefs call for alcohol ban in airports and say British police ‘have power’ to stop boozing on flights - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:12