A BOAT carrying 300 migrants docked in Spain this morning after being refused entry twice into Europe.
Operated by Spanish charity NGO Proactiva Open Arms, the vessel docked in Algeciras at 9:00am on Friday after a week at sea.
The mainly African migrants were rescued on December 21, but were told they could not enter Italy or Malta.
The 19 different nationalities onboard the ship, including 139 children, were all met by Red Cross officials who offered them food, clothes and medical examinations if they needed it.
“These are people, both children and adults, who have had really horrible experiences in both their countries of origin and during their journey,” said Vicente Raimundo, a director at Save The Children.
Video showed the spirit of the migrants who celebrated Christmas at sea by singing and listening to music.
Police will identify the migrants before moving them to shelters, and so far the Red Cross have recorded people from the Ivory Coast, Mali, Somalia and Sudan.
It comes as Italy’s far-right interior minister Matteo Salvini said: “My answer is clear: Italian ports are closed, for human traffickers and those who help them, the party is over.”
Over 2,200 migrants have died this year trying to cross the Mediterranean, while 119,336 have reached Europe, according to the UN.
- ‘Frightening’ moment on Thomas Cook flight to Spain as squishy cat toy explodes in British seven-year-old’s face - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 16:10
- Spain could snatch €1 billion Royal Navy ship contract ahead of British firms despite wargames over Gibraltar - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 12:40
- Gibraltar to install 17 speed bumps on Rock to protect ‘vulnerable’ baby monkeys from drivers - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 13:44
- Number of Brits on Costa del Sol increases for first time since before Brexit - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:14
- Man in Spain arrested over double knife attack at Ryanair check-in desk that saw woman stabbed in ear - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:33
- Tourism companies in Spain outraged at being handed limits on daily beach visitors with some as low as 250 per day - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40