A JUDGE has let a convicted British criminal go on holiday to Spain before he is sentenced over possession of a stun gun and class A drugs.
Colin Watson, 51 ,has been spared an immediate prison sentence so he could enjoy a pre-booked holiday to the Canary Islands.
Judge Jenkins agreed to postpone the crook’s sentencing as ‘an act of mercy’ but campaigners have said it sends mixed messages to crime victims.
“It is quite extraordinary and virtually unprecedented in my experience for a judge to adjourn sentencing of a convicted serious offender to allow them to go and enjoy a holiday.
“It’s also a bizarre message to send to victims of all crime who are concerned about sentencing in this country,” said victim’s rights campaigner Harry Fletcher.
Watson, from Pontypool, has pleaded guilty to possessing a prohibited weapon, an offensive weapon, and drugs.
The Welshman faces a ten year jail sentence.
Judge Jenkins told Watson: “You have pleaded guilty to a number of very serious matters. I am trusting you. Don’t let me down.”
- UK minister issues summer job prison warning for Brits on Spain holiday island - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05
- Spain’s La Liga fined over popular mobile app that spied on illegal match screenings - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:48
- NASA images reveal ‘sea of plastic’ - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:23
- British surfer drowns in southern Spain after being swept away by strong currents in front of niece - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 18:07
- Brit in Spain takes on Nigel Farage bankroller with 2,000 mile Brexit protest walk from Gibraltar to London - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 15:57
- Search called off for woman who fell overboard on luxury Spain cruise to Mallorca - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 13:00