A WOMAN has been stung in the face by a Portuguese man o’ war after she went swimming on the Costa Blanca.
The middle-aged woman was bathing off Cabo de las Huertas, near Sant Joan d’Alacant, when she encountered the venomous jellyfish.
She was taken to Sant Joan Hospital earlier today (Monday) as her face began to swell and turn red.
Portuguese man o’ wars have breeding grounds near Huelva and Cadiz, but last year the alarm was sounded as various specimens travelled to the Costa Blanca.
The Alicante government last year placed nets in the waters of popular beaches to keep out the jellyfish, and have been discussing the use of drones to keep swimmers safe.
The Portuguese man o’ war can be easily spotted by the buoyant sail it uses to move on the surface of the ocean.
Its tentacles, however, can reach 30 metres in length.
- Dutchman donates 3,000kg of organic ‘solidarity potatoes’ to help struggling families in Javea - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 10:03
- WATCH: Plane drops water on Sierra Helada national park as forest fire blazes above Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 20:06
- WATCH: Brit claim that he ‘slipped’ by pool to recover 37,000 euro hospital bill in Mallorca FAILS after video shows him jumping into a tree - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 15:07
- ‘HE LIKES IT’: Benidorm bar responds to claims that midget stripper advert was a ‘hate crime’ - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 12:12
- BREAKING: First chikungunya outbreak in Spain as three tourists on the Costa Blanca are infected - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Girl of THREE among 79 illegal immigrants intercepted as Guardia Civil arrests Alicante-based trafficking gang - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 13:27
- PICTURED: Romanian woman beheaded on the Costa Blanca as police say arrest ‘imminent’ - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:40
- WATCH: British-run restaurant blocked by ‘two truck loads’ of rubble as neighbour demands 150,000 for strip of land - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:36
- Three ‘pirate taxis’ confiscated from illicit drivers at Alicante-Elche Airport - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 17:51
- Javea’s Cova Tallada to become first beach in Valencian Community with restricted visitor access due to tourism pressure - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:43