SPAIN has again dominated the World’s 50 Best Restaurants List with three Spanish kitchens in the top 10.
Pipping the Spanish to the post this year though was Argentinian-Italian chef Mauro Colagreco’s Mirazur in Menton, France.
The country equalled its record haul of 2018, with seven restaurants Spanish restaurants handed gongs at the event dubbed the ‘Oscars of fine dining’.
Spain’s highest entry Victor Arguinzoniz’s Asador Etxebarri in Atxondo, the Basque Country, rose to third best in the world after coming 10th last year.
Another Basque star, Andoni Luis Aduriz’s rural restaurant, Mugaritz in San Sebastian, also climbed to seventh.
Meanwhile ninth place went to last year’s highest new entry, the avant-garde Disfrutar in Barcelona, which shot up from 18th.
The Basque Country shone at the glitzy ceremony at Singapore’s Marina Bay Sands hotel, with five restaurants in total in the top 50, while Barcelona had two.
Azurmendi in Larrabetzu came in at 14, Barcelona’s Tickets 20th, Elkano in Getaria in 30, while 32nd place went to Bilbao’s Nerua.
That is because this year’s awards, sponsored by S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna, sees restaurants previously crowned ‘best in the world’, elevated to a ‘Best of the Best’ list.
Since its inception in 2002 the illustrious parade of global gastronomy has put a Spanish restaurant top seven times: El Bulli five, and El Cellar de Can Roca twice.
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35
- Blood-soaked man arrested after allegedly stabbing dad to death before taking bus to hotel on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:08