GROWTH: A British man and a dog are the latest victims

A BRITISH tourist and a dog have become the latest victims of Spain’s biggest ever listeriosis outbreak, according to the Spanish press.

So far two people have died from the bacterial infection, while 200 people have been affected across the country, including 31 pregnant women.

The Englishman was infected during a holiday to Andalucia, before making his way to France where he was hospitalised for at least two days.

The man ate contaminated meatloaf and is now said to have returned to the UK, El Pais reported.

It comes as a greyhound in Malaga is ‘highly suspected’ of also having the disease, the Spanish Veterinary Business Confederation (CEVE) said.

AVOID: Some of the 15 foods warned against by Spain’s Ministry of Health amid the country’s largest listeria outbreak

The 10-year-old animal apparently showed ‘digestive symptoms’, while several of its owners are hospitalised in Malaga.

Magrudis is the Sevilla-based company at the centre of this scandal and 15 of the firm’s products have now had warnings issued against them by Spain’s Ministry of Health.

Tests at the company’s kitchens revealed positive results for listeria monocytogenes bacteria in its ovens and in needles used to inject meat with fat.

Listeriosis is a bacterial infection that can cause sepsis, meningitis and encephalitis and can be fatal.

Symptoms include a high temperature of 38°C or above, aches and pains, chills, feeling sick or vomiting and diarrhoea.

Listeria mainly affects unpasteurised milk, dairy products made from unpasteurised milk, soft cheeses like camembert and brie and chilled ready-to-eat foods, like pre-packed sandwiches, pate and deli meats.

Subscribe to the Olive Press

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.