- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Man killed by lightning after more heavy rain hits southern Spain
• Lightning strikes over the south of Spain
By Amie Keeley
A MAN has been killed after his television exploded when it was hit by lightning through a window.
The 31-year-old was in a cortijo in Arroyo del Ojanco, Jaén when the incident happened, as torrential rain, thunder and lightening swept across southern Spain last night.
A nine-year-old boy from Almodóvar del Campo, has also gone missing after floods swept away the car he was travelling in with his parents.
The parents escaped from the vehicle but could not save their child.
Soldiers were called in to help firefighters in Ecija where the heaviest flooding was reported after the river Genil burst its banks forcing thousands of people to flee their homes.
AEMET, the Spanish Meteorological Agency, has put the South West of Spain on high alert as more heavy rain is forecast for Andalucía and Extremadura today.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others