- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Calls for changes on new cigarette laws
• limits on cigarettes in Gibraltar
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
A NEW Spanish law, passed on January 1 this year, which limits the number of cigarettes people can bring out of Gibraltar, is being challenged.
The law is designed to crackdown on tobacco trafficking and states that residents of La Linea and the Campo de Gibraltar area are only able to bring 80 cigarettes out of the country every calendar month.
However, if you are living in another part of the Costa del Sol or Spain you can bring out 200.
The ASCTEG union, that represents workers in Gibraltar, is now challenging the law, claiming the rules are unconstitutional and discriminatory against locals.
The union have called on the Andalucía ombudsman, Jose Chamizo to take up the issue and take action.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]
Most popular in the past week.
Latest news from the Olive Press...
Take a look at the five most-read stories on the Olive Press website this week…