WHEN Guy Horne tried to board the Ryanair flight from Malaga to Manchester – with his £36 bottle of Glenmorangie – staff told him to pay up or get off.
Buying the whisky in duty free, Ryanair told the student that he would have to pay a £50 surcharge to take the bottle on board.
He told the Metro newspaper: ‘I took the bottle out of its box and tried to fit it in my bag but she [the stewardess] still said no. I was begging and pleading with her to let me on the plane but she wouldn’t let me. I was stood there at the entrance to the plane and I was completely powerless. I was just in a state of disbelief. You just want some commonsense.”
Horne eventually caught an easyJet flight several hours later at a cost of almost £200.
In 2011 Spanish national airport authority AENA told all flights that passengers had the right to carry separate bags with shopping purchases at its airports.
AENA Director Commercial Services & Properties Mariano Sanz: “With this new law passengers are allowed to take an extra bag with purchases onto their flights. We have communicated strongly to Ryanair that they must obey the rules. When we told them, they said they would comply with Irish law rather than Spanish law; but we said that this was not acceptable, and we repeated that they must follow the rules in place at Spain’s airports.”
Ryanair claimed that Horne had two extra pieces of hand luggage as well as his carry-on bag, calling its 10kg allowance “generous”.
It added: “Ryanair will not delay its flights for passengers who fail to comply with its terms and conditions of travel.”
- VIDEO: Nightmare returns for illegal homeowners in Spain as Junta once again demolishes foreigners homes - 16 Oct, 2013 @ 08:00
- VIDEO: Two British-owned homes have been demolished in Spain and two more will come down this week - 15 Oct, 2013 @ 11:44
- Spanish name for Halle Berry and Olivier Martinez’s baby boy - 14 Oct, 2013 @ 12:13
- VIDEO: Metropolitan Police release new e-fits in connection with Maddie McCann disappearance - 14 Oct, 2013 @ 10:23
- Louis Vuitton collaborates with Spanish illustrator to create new shopping app ads - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 17:50
- Hilarious holiday complaints revealed by travel company - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 14:16
- Have Enrique Iglesias and Anna Kournikova broken up? - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 08:09
- Protesters strip naked to make a point against animal cruelty - 12 Oct, 2013 @ 14:11
- Spanish doctor ordered to pay up for mis-diagnosis of Wolf Man - 11 Oct, 2013 @ 06:00
- Three netball teams join to raise money for Macmillan Cancer - 9 Oct, 2013 @ 11:27