ANDALUCIA’S most exclusive hotel, The Lodge, has gone up in flames.
Horrified onlookers watched as fire ripped through the 500-euro a night luxury resort earlier this morning.
Granada fire fighters have been battling the blaze for a couple of hours, but there is no sign of let up.
Thirty two clients and 20 staff were evacuated, and there are no reported casualties.
Although nothing has been confirmed, it is thought that a chimney fire was the source of the blaze.
The Lodge, designed by London interior designer Andrew Martin, was originally earmarked for the King, and boasts Spain’s only outdoor skiing resort swimming pool, and a Turkish bath, sauna, gym and jacuzzi in the basement.
It was opened in 2012 by the people behind the Marbella Club Hotel.
Olive Press reader Philippa Kings said: “The fire took hold really fast, and spread quickly. It’s a real tragedy, and the whole village now smells of smoke.”
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00