A SPANISH town has been criticised after it projected the faces of Francisco Franco and Heinrich Himmler onto its castles during a festival.
Guadamur in Castilla-La Mancha said the images were designed to tell the story of the provisional Vichy government’s negotiations for the recuperation of the Guarrazar treasures.
Franco had negotiated for the return of the treasure – Visigothic crowns and gold crosses – with the Marshal Petain during WWII – which is what the projection intended to show.
Residents, however, felt the images honoured the former Spanish dictator and Nazi officer.
The town hall said in a statement: “It was never the intention of the organizers, the documentary maker or collaborators to praise the people… or the actions of their governments,
“The town hall of Guadamur would like to apologize to those who were offended by any of the images shown.”
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22