A BRITISH pair who bought an piece of land that was sold to them at a million euros more than its original sale price are being sought by authorities investigating the Astapa corruption scandal.
Mysteriously, the duo were the second purchasers of the plot, within hours of it being sold for the first time.
Whether they were victims of, or privy to, the dubious goings on is unclear, as reports reveal that the first and second sales took place consecutively with all the same people involved in the notary’s office at the same time.
The incident has emerged as investigators look into the scandal at Estepona Town Hall which has been rumbling on since June 2008.
And there are a total of 70 people now implicated, including the ex Mayor, Antonio Barrientos, and his ex Chief of Staff, José Flores.
The land in question belonged to Flores’ parents, but the ex- Chief’s brother has insisted he was unaware it had been sold the second time.
The National Police Economic Crime Unit believes tax fraud and money laundering resulted from the sales and is now urging the court to ask the UK authorities to locate the as yet unnamed British citizens who purchased the land.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00