A BRITISH pair who bought an piece of land that was sold to them at a million euros more than its original sale price are being sought by authorities investigating the Astapa corruption scandal.
Mysteriously, the duo were the second purchasers of the plot, within hours of it being sold for the first time.
Whether they were victims of, or privy to, the dubious goings on is unclear, as reports reveal that the first and second sales took place consecutively with all the same people involved in the notary’s office at the same time.
The incident has emerged as investigators look into the scandal at Estepona Town Hall which has been rumbling on since June 2008.
And there are a total of 70 people now implicated, including the ex Mayor, Antonio Barrientos, and his ex Chief of Staff, José Flores.
The land in question belonged to Flores’ parents, but the ex- Chief’s brother has insisted he was unaware it had been sold the second time.
The National Police Economic Crime Unit believes tax fraud and money laundering resulted from the sales and is now urging the court to ask the UK authorities to locate the as yet unnamed British citizens who purchased the land.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00