GIBRALTAR has been a melting pot of nationalities and faiths through the centuries.
Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Hindu, Muslim faiths all co-exist while nationalities include British, Moroccan, Spanish, Indian and Pakistani.
When you consider the actual size of the Rock, it is a real testament to the nature of Gibraltar that they all get along and, although relations with Spain may not be at their best at the moment, they are at least small signs that things are improving.
The introduction of a racist party like UKIP could, in theory, upset this balance.
The fact that this is a party that has a strongly pro-British manifesto and that on a recent visit Sean Howlett met with the group ‘Defenders of Gibraltar’ should certainly set off alarm bells in Madrid should they pick up support.
We will await UKIP’s summer launch with interest, but doubt their right wing rants will get them far.
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36