MALAYSIANS living in Spain have been encouraged to chip in for the construction of a mosque in Sevilla.
President Abu Zahar urged Spanish-based Malays to help the Islamic community to finally complete a mosque in Sevilla.
Plans for a Sevillian mosque have been in the pipeline since 2008, but a number of financial setbacks have prevented the €17 million project from getting underway.
“It is important for Malays to support this project,” Zahar said.
“As for me, some of my colleagues in Parliament and I will try our best to help them.
“This is something that comes from our hearts to help Muslims in Seville to have their mosque.”
Granada Mosque president Malik Abderahman called Zahar for help after a meeting with Sevilla Mosque director Ibrahim Hernandez.
During the 40-minute meeting, Abderahman expressed his desire for financial assistance from the Malaysian public and government in order to complete the mosque.
“For us this project will not be just a mosque but we want it to become a centre for Muslims and non-Muslims in Spain to have links with one another,” Abderahman said.
“Even though we (Muslims) are a minority, we like to work together with all societies in Spain.”
There are currently an estimated two million Muslims living in Spain.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36