A 97-YEAR-OLD Canary Islander man is being credited with inventing the prototype for a revolutionary way of collecting water from mist as it condenses.
Tadeo Casañas came up with his plan after his small island of El Hierro in the Canaries went without rain in 1948.
After being awakened by water dripping through the heather roof of a hut he had built high up in the fog-shrouded hills where he had gone to hunt, he crafted a makeshift water collection system.
He cut various branches to collect the condensate then constructed an aqueduct to a cistern, before installing a pipe that delivered 14 litres a minute and helped save his village.
“They called me ‘the wise man of El Hierro’,” said Tadeo. “Now, I am dying. But I bother people with questions. Because I want to learn more.”
The modern version of Tadeo’s plan was invented by Venezuelan Ricardo Gil.
His Agua de Niebla de Canarias company have created aluminium structures capable of collecting 35,000 litres of water a day from an area of only 350 square metres.
- IN PICS: The women competing for your vote to be crowned Miss World Malaga on the same day as Spain’s general election - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 09:00
- The Online Gambling Industry in Gibraltar - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 14:10
- Heat and sun returns to Spain’s Costa del Sol from Friday with highs of 24C forecast for next week - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:54
- NOT MOO-VING: Moment stubborn cow causes traffic jam on busy A-7 in southern Spain - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54
- SHELL SHOCKED: Unexploded BOMB found on property in Spain’s Malaga - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 12:05