THE first meeting between Podemos, Ciudadanos and the Socialist Party ended in failure today.
The three main parties met to end Spain’s political deadlock following its inconclusive election in December, which led to a hung parliament.
The list of demands from the Podemos camp proved too much for the opposing delegates, including Catalonia’s right to self-rule and a mass increase in public spending.
Regional self determination is non-negotiable for the other parties, while for many, Spain’s failure to meet deficit targets will likely require spending cuts for the next government, not increased spending.
As the two-and-a-half hour meeting eneded, Socialist spokesman Antonio Hernando said the only purpose of the session had been for the 18 party representatives to tell each other what everyone else already thinks: that their positions are incompatible.
Ciudadanos spokesman Jose Manuel Villegas said: “The outlook is that there will be no agreement.”
But Hernando said the Socialist Party will keep pushing for an alliance, until its last drop of sweat is dried up.
If no alliance is formed by May 2, parliament will be dissolved and a fresh election will be called for late June, which latest polls show would favour the Popular Party (PP).
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14