THE first meeting between Podemos, Ciudadanos and the Socialist Party ended in failure today.
The three main parties met to end Spain’s political deadlock following its inconclusive election in December, which led to a hung parliament.
The list of demands from the Podemos camp proved too much for the opposing delegates, including Catalonia’s right to self-rule and a mass increase in public spending.
Regional self determination is non-negotiable for the other parties, while for many, Spain’s failure to meet deficit targets will likely require spending cuts for the next government, not increased spending.
As the two-and-a-half hour meeting eneded, Socialist spokesman Antonio Hernando said the only purpose of the session had been for the 18 party representatives to tell each other what everyone else already thinks: that their positions are incompatible.
Ciudadanos spokesman Jose Manuel Villegas said: “The outlook is that there will be no agreement.”
But Hernando said the Socialist Party will keep pushing for an alliance, until its last drop of sweat is dried up.
If no alliance is formed by May 2, parliament will be dissolved and a fresh election will be called for late June, which latest polls show would favour the Popular Party (PP).
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40
- FLAG-RANT: Fabian Picardo steps in after American cruise ship infuriates Gibraltar with ‘Welcome to Gibraltor’ message printed on Spanish flag - 16 May, 2019 @ 11:09
- WATCH: Dramatic rescue after two ‘narco boats’ collide off Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 May, 2019 @ 15:29
- Mystery as expat and two Lithuanians found in busted van carrying €1 MILLION CASH en route to Malaga – but NONE of them claim ownership - 15 May, 2019 @ 12:31
- ‘SOMEONE MUST KNOW’: Grandmother of missing British lad who vanished with his father from Spain’s Costa del Sol makes heartfelt appeal - 15 May, 2019 @ 10:45
- BAD FELLAS: Prison guard and 43 others arrested after Cadiz gang teams up with Italian mafia to free cannabis kingpin from Costa del Sol jail - 14 May, 2019 @ 15:54