SPAIN is asking UNESCO to grant its world-famous tapas a distinction of ‘Intangible Cultural Heritage’.
President of Spain’s Royal Academy of Gastronomy, Rafael Anson, has reportedly already spoken to UNESCO, who are said to be ‘looking into it’.
The Ministry of Culture is expected to make a formal presentation.
“Tapas are the very model of food,”said Rafael,”Pizza in itself is not intangible, but the concept of the Mediterranean diet, for example, is.”
“Tapas, too, are a way of eating,” he added.
“The project is very advanced. The Ministry of Culture will make the formal presentation but I have spoken to Unesco and they are already looking into it.”
The defininition of ‘items with cultural heritage’ was once limited to monuments and collections of objects, but it has now evolved to include flamenco, the whistled languae on La Gomera island, the castells and the human towers that form during festivals in Catalonia.
Tapas is not the first food to request UNESCO recognition either.
Italy will find out if its Neapolitan pizza is worthy of Intangible Cultural Heritage protection next year.
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25