SPAIN is asking UNESCO to grant its world-famous tapas a distinction of ‘Intangible Cultural Heritage’.
President of Spain’s Royal Academy of Gastronomy, Rafael Anson, has reportedly already spoken to UNESCO, who are said to be ‘looking into it’.
The Ministry of Culture is expected to make a formal presentation.
“Tapas are the very model of food,”said Rafael,”Pizza in itself is not intangible, but the concept of the Mediterranean diet, for example, is.”
“Tapas, too, are a way of eating,” he added.
“The project is very advanced. The Ministry of Culture will make the formal presentation but I have spoken to Unesco and they are already looking into it.”
The defininition of ‘items with cultural heritage’ was once limited to monuments and collections of objects, but it has now evolved to include flamenco, the whistled languae on La Gomera island, the castells and the human towers that form during festivals in Catalonia.
Tapas is not the first food to request UNESCO recognition either.
Italy will find out if its Neapolitan pizza is worthy of Intangible Cultural Heritage protection next year.
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19
- Iconic restaurant on Spain’s Costa del Sol divides opinion over sign declaring it ‘Spanish, Catholic and rightwing’ - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 16:54