AN uninhabited mansion in Torremolinos has been given the green light to become a contemporary art centre.
For almost 20 years, the house of the wealthy Barrabino family on the Costa del Sol square has been slowly deteriorating, with neighbours lamenting the building as landscape pollution in the newly pedestrianised area.
Torremolinos Town Hall is now trying to buy the property from its owners, while Malaga architect Jose Maria Morente is working on designs for the project.
It began when the president of the Association of Merchants and Entrepreneurs Torremolinos, Juan Vallejo, called for the site to be turned into a cultural attraction.
Sources say discussions are already taking place with the Barrabinos family, whose home dates from the late nineteenth century.
The Independence Square, the Costa del Sol square and the avenue of the Springs were part of a large estate that belonged to the family before they donated it to Malaga City Council in 1940.
The goal is to create something similar to the contemporary art centre in the old slaughterhouse near Malaga’s Guadalmedina river.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31