AN uninhabited mansion in Torremolinos has been given the green light to become a contemporary art centre.
For almost 20 years, the house of the wealthy Barrabino family on the Costa del Sol square has been slowly deteriorating, with neighbours lamenting the building as landscape pollution in the newly pedestrianised area.
Torremolinos Town Hall is now trying to buy the property from its owners, while Malaga architect Jose Maria Morente is working on designs for the project.
It began when the president of the Association of Merchants and Entrepreneurs Torremolinos, Juan Vallejo, called for the site to be turned into a cultural attraction.
Sources say discussions are already taking place with the Barrabinos family, whose home dates from the late nineteenth century.
The Independence Square, the Costa del Sol square and the avenue of the Springs were part of a large estate that belonged to the family before they donated it to Malaga City Council in 1940.
The goal is to create something similar to the contemporary art centre in the old slaughterhouse near Malaga’s Guadalmedina river.
- IN PICS: Luxury lifestyle of Marbella expat couple accused of cocaine trafficking and money laundering as court orders €4 million seizure of assets - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Dead blue whale found floating in Marbella - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 10:39
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43