LIONEL Messi’s tax fraud trial has begun in Spain.
The Barcelona and Argentina football star and his father Jorge, who manages his financial affairs, are accused of defrauding Spain of more then €4m between 2007 and 2009.
Authorities claim the pair used tax havens Belize and Uruguary to hide their earnings from image rights.
While the Hacienda is calling for heavy fines and prison time, they both deny any wrongdoing.
Leniency could be shown given that the amounts concerned have since been paid to the Hacienda voluntarily, and no bail was set because of the high amount of collaboration between the accused and the investigators.
Additionally, the public prosecution service recommended the case against Messi be dropped, as it is possible his father carried out the offence without him knowing.
Messi will appear before the court in Barcelona on Thursday.
The trial is expected to last three days.
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27