LIONEL Messi’s tax fraud trial has begun in Spain.
The Barcelona and Argentina football star and his father Jorge, who manages his financial affairs, are accused of defrauding Spain of more then €4m between 2007 and 2009.
Authorities claim the pair used tax havens Belize and Uruguary to hide their earnings from image rights.
While the Hacienda is calling for heavy fines and prison time, they both deny any wrongdoing.
Leniency could be shown given that the amounts concerned have since been paid to the Hacienda voluntarily, and no bail was set because of the high amount of collaboration between the accused and the investigators.
Additionally, the public prosecution service recommended the case against Messi be dropped, as it is possible his father carried out the offence without him knowing.
Messi will appear before the court in Barcelona on Thursday.
The trial is expected to last three days.
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33