STEPHEN HAWKING has said the biggest threats to mankind are pollution and human ‘stupidity’.
The world’s leading theoretical physicist made the comments at the Starmus science conference in Tenerife, Spain.
He said ‘we have certainly not become less greedy or less stupid’ in our treatment of the environment over the past decade’.
“Six years ago, I was warning about pollution and overcrowding, they have gotten worse since then,” he said.
“At this rate, it will be 11 billion by 2100. Air pollution has increased by 8 percent over the past five years. More than 80% of inhabitants of urban areas are exposed to unsafe levels of air pollution.”
The conference’s theme was a tribute to Hawking’s work, which most recently includes a plan to map the entire known universe using radiation patterns.
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29