STEPHEN HAWKING has said the biggest threats to mankind are pollution and human ‘stupidity’.
The world’s leading theoretical physicist made the comments at the Starmus science conference in Tenerife, Spain.
He said ‘we have certainly not become less greedy or less stupid’ in our treatment of the environment over the past decade’.
“Six years ago, I was warning about pollution and overcrowding, they have gotten worse since then,” he said.
“At this rate, it will be 11 billion by 2100. Air pollution has increased by 8 percent over the past five years. More than 80% of inhabitants of urban areas are exposed to unsafe levels of air pollution.”
The conference’s theme was a tribute to Hawking’s work, which most recently includes a plan to map the entire known universe using radiation patterns.
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22