GOOD news for expats on the Costa del Sol looking for cultural immersion: Spanish ranks as the third cheapest language for Brits to learn.
Spanish also shares the title for the fastest track to fluency with seven other European languages: Portuguese, Swedish, Romanian, Italian, Danish, French and Dutch.
The study, performed by Voucherbox, an online coupon site, surveyed paid language-learning classes across 28 different languages and compiled the average time to fluency and the average cost per hour.
According to their results, a person can achieve fluency in Spanish with 600 hours of study, at €12.01 per hour, for a total cost of €7206 for fluency.
Spanish came behind Portuguese at number two and, surprisingly, Indonesian at number one.
Though fluency in Indonesian takes an additional 200 hours of study, it only costs €7.43 per hour.
- From Nerja to Manilva: How far has construction of the record-breaking La Senda Litoral walkway progressed? - 20 Aug, 2016 @ 17:53
- Holiday season boosts Spanish train service Renfe - 19 Aug, 2016 @ 14:40
- Floating lanterns banned from Manilva’s Luna Llena festival - 14 Aug, 2016 @ 14:00
- Basque Culinary World Prize awarded to Venezuelan chef - 13 Aug, 2016 @ 16:00
- Spain faces uphill battle to meet new EU emissions goals - 13 Aug, 2016 @ 12:00
- Nerja welcomes hometown World Combat Jujitsu champion - 12 Aug, 2016 @ 17:14
- Dani Garcia opens new restaurant in Puente Romano - 12 Aug, 2016 @ 16:00
- Huge pharma company investing almost €300m into UK post-Brexit - 12 Aug, 2016 @ 09:52
- Spain paying €300m a year in pensions to people who are dead - 11 Aug, 2016 @ 09:02
- Evening horse racing on Sanlucar beach in August - 10 Aug, 2016 @ 16:00