SPAIN is the EU country most affected by the sale of fake alcohol.
The EU Intellectual Property Office estimates its local producers lose €263 million every year thanks to the introduction of counterfeits into the market.
In Spain, legitimate producers lose around €173 million a year on alcoholic beverages and €90 million a year on wine.
The trend also affects jobs and tax revenues, according to the EU’s Intellectual Property Office’s 8th report on the economic costs of fake products, which was released late July.
Spain heads the list of countries with the biggest job losses in absolute terms losing around 1,000 in a year.
The report also notes that states lose millions as a result of unpaid VAT or Social Security contributions, which in Spain amounts to €90 million.
While counterfeit production is difficult to detect and its implications difficult to analyse, it is estimated the EU as a whole has lost an annual average of €3 billion euros between 2008 and 2013.
The countries most affected after Spain are Italy, Germany and France.
Spain has been damaged the most because it has the highest number of businesses specialising in alcohol and wine with some 3,700.
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13