SPAIN is the EU country most affected by the sale of fake alcohol.
The EU Intellectual Property Office estimates its local producers lose €263 million every year thanks to the introduction of counterfeits into the market.
In Spain, legitimate producers lose around €173 million a year on alcoholic beverages and €90 million a year on wine.
The trend also affects jobs and tax revenues, according to the EU’s Intellectual Property Office’s 8th report on the economic costs of fake products, which was released late July.
Spain heads the list of countries with the biggest job losses in absolute terms losing around 1,000 in a year.
The report also notes that states lose millions as a result of unpaid VAT or Social Security contributions, which in Spain amounts to €90 million.
While counterfeit production is difficult to detect and its implications difficult to analyse, it is estimated the EU as a whole has lost an annual average of €3 billion euros between 2008 and 2013.
The countries most affected after Spain are Italy, Germany and France.
Spain has been damaged the most because it has the highest number of businesses specialising in alcohol and wine with some 3,700.
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22