POLICE have arrested five suspected members of the notorious Pink Panther gang of jewel thieves.
A special unit caught the thieves, all of Serbian origin, as they tried to make their getaway after robbing a jewellery shop on Barcelona’s famous Passeig de Gracia avenue, the city’s biggest shopping street.
It took the thieves just 48 seconds to steal €400,000 worth of jewellery before police swooped in.
Interpol believes the gang – made up of 200 ex-military personnel – have carried out at least 380 armed robberies, stealing €334 million between 1999 and 2015.
- Spotlight on Oscar winning director Pedro Almodovar - 1 Sep, 2016 @ 15:56
- Know your tomatoes: Spain’s obsession with the red (and green) fruit - 27 Aug, 2016 @ 14:05
- From bears to wolves the search is on for Spain’s wild animals - 21 Aug, 2016 @ 10:00
- Five members of infamous Pink Panther gang arrested in €400,000 jewellery heist - 20 Aug, 2016 @ 09:55
- Katie Price slammed for joke about her son during Spain trip - 17 Aug, 2016 @ 19:16
- Mariano Rajoy to agree to Ciudadanos six demands in Spanish prime minister talks - 17 Aug, 2016 @ 11:51
- Albert Rivera’s Ciudadanos take steps to try to allow Rajoy to form a government - 16 Aug, 2016 @ 14:45
- American actress Sigourney Weaver to be honoured at San Sebastian film festival - 15 Aug, 2016 @ 14:30
- Mexican bullfighter gored at Malaga feria - 15 Aug, 2016 @ 13:03
- Brain food: the science behind taste - 14 Aug, 2016 @ 16:00